Competition Terms and Conditions
Bath Spa University – Novel in 25 Words
- The Competition is promoted by Bath Spa University (University). If you have any queries in regard to the Competition or these Terms please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- By entering the Novel in 25 Words competition (Competition), you (Entrant) agree to be bound by these terms and conditions (Terms). If you do not wish to be bound by these Terms please do not enter the Competition.
- The University reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any person from entering the Competition if it considers that such person is breaching or has breached these Terms.
- Entrants must be over 18 years of age.
- The Submission of entries is welcome from anyone save that published authors (we describe a published author as someone with a track record of publications -- books, stories published in magazines or elsewhere) and those employed in the field of creative writing (employed by an organisation to teach in the field of creative writing) will not qualify as entrants to the Competition – although their entries may be posted online and used in the media to promote the Competition.
- The University reserves the right to disqualify automated entries, bulk entries, entries made by a person in the name of another, [entrants made jointly by two or more people], illegible and incomplete entries, and entries which it considers to be unlawful, offensive, distasteful or containing illicit material.
- All entries will be checked for plagiarism and any entries suspected of plagiarism will be disqualified.
- Entries must be exactly 25 words in length. In the entry form there is a separate space to insert a title which will not count towards your 25 word limit.
- Entries must be in the English language.
- Each entrant may only submit one entry for the Competition.
- The Competition will close at 23.59 on Friday 30 June. Entries received after this time will not be entered into the Competition.
- The results of the Competition will be announced through the University's news section on the website on or before 1st August 2017.
How to enter
- Please enter the Competition online by completing the online form with the details required.
- Alternatively, please post entries to Bath Spa University Press Office, c/o Speed Communications, 1 – 6 Brighton Mews, Bristol, BS8 2NW. Please include your name, postal address, email address (if available), and contact phone number on your postal entry.
- Any entry that does not include required information will be deemed to be incomplete and will not be entered into the Competition.
- All entries must be received by the stated closing date in order to be eligible for the Competition.
- The University accepts no liability for any entries which are lost or delayed in transit.
- There are two rounds of judging and in the first round:
- all entries will be moderated and judged by a creative writing professional
- any entries which do not meet the requirements of the Competition as set out in these Terms will be disqualified at this stage
- with regard to the remaining entries, those judged strongest during this first round will then be shortlisted and shared with the judging panel (Judges).
- In the second round the Judges will select the winning entry and two runners up from the shortlisted entries.
- The decisions of the moderator and Judges will be final.
- Some of the shortlisted entries may at the discretion of the University be posted online here.
- The winner and runners up will be contacted using the contact details provided in the online entry form or in the postal entry. If the winner and runners up cannot be contacted or do not claim their prizes within 7 days of notification, the University reserves the right to withdraw the prize from them and [ask the Judges to select] a replacement in which event the replacement will be entitled to receive the relevant prize in place of the original selected entrant.
Licences and publicity
- As a condition of entry to the Competition each entrant agrees that the University will have an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, royalty free, transferable licence:
- to copy their entry and make copies available to University staff and agents and to the Judges for the purposes of the Competition;
- to post their entry online on this website and through the University's website and social media channels (along with their first name and home town or county);
- in relation to the winner and runners up:
- to publish their entries in the proposed University Anthology (Book) which is due to be published in September 2017 and to promote the Book; and
- to use their entries, their names, [approved] photographs and their home towns [or counties], for promotional purposes in all media and online.
- The University undertakes to give a suitable credit (the form of which is in the discretion of the University) to those entrants whose entries it posts online [and through the University's social media channels] and publishes in the Book.
- The winner will receive the following benefits by way of a prize:
- A cash gift of £500;
- Their winning entry will be recorded by Jeremy Irons (the University's Chancellor), and they will receive a copy of the recording, which will be shared on the University’s social media channels and posted online at the University's website;
- Their entry will be included in the Book;
- They will be invited to attend the London launch of the Book due to take place on 15th September 2017 (Launch) and the University will pay them for standard class travel to the Launch from within the UK, and one night’s accommodation at a central London hotel. If applicable the winner must pay any travel costs from outside of the UK;
- The two runners up will receive the following benefits by way of prizes:
- Their entries will be included in the Book;
- Their entries will be recorded by Jeremy Irons, and they will each receive a copy of the recording of their entry which will be shared on the University’s social media channels and posted online on the University's website;
- They will be invited to attend the Launch and the University will pay each runner up for standard class travel to the event from within the UK, and one night’s accommodation at a central London hotel. If applicable the runners up must pay any travel costs from outside of the UK.
- There is no cash alternative available for the benefits offered to winning entries by way of prizes.
- Prizes are not transferrable.
- There is a maximum of one prize per entrant.
- Personal data of entrants will be used by the University only for the administration and conduct of the Competition and related promotion and publicity as set out in these Terms and (save as set out in these Terms) entrants' personal details will not be passed on to any third party.
- The University may wish to contact entrants via email with University news and details of its creative writing courses. Please confirm in the box provided in the online entry form or specify in your postal entry if you would like us to contact you for these purposes.
- The University reserves the right to suspend or cancel the Competition at any time and has no liability for any decision to do so. Nor will the University accept any liability to entrants for the decisions of the moderator or Judges or the outcome of the Competition.
- The University’s decisions in respect of the conduct of the Competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into in respect thereof.
- The winner is solely responsible for any personal tax liability that may arise from winning the Competition.
- This Competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter or any other social network [or third party].
- To the extent lawfully permissible the University accepts no liability for any loss or damage suffered by any person (save for personal injury or death caused by the negligence of the University).
- These Terms are governed by the laws of England and Wales and the University and you agree that the Courts of England and Wales have exclusive jurisdiction in respect of these Terms.